Friday, October 10, 2008

Can't.resist.the.urge...to.upgrade

Oh boy, I've tested Ubuntu 8.10 Beta (Intrepid Ibex) for 3 days via Wubi and I have a strong urge to drop Ubuntu 8.04 and upgrade to the beta release. Its only about 20days more but this particular release seems quite stable on two of the notebooks I've tested that I just got to do the upgrade. I have not encountered any bug that I'd consider a show stopper and the only one I saw thats annoying was the fact that the security key for wifi is not stored by the network manager (which prompts you again on the next reboot), but thats ok I'm pretty sure it will be solved on the next update. I've downloaded the alternate- installer iso yesterday, burned it on a cd and upgraded the system and what did I get? A warm fuzzy feeling that I got a new and improved version of my favorite desktop linux distro :) ...they say pulseaudio will be better in Ibex, I'll check this later. Also my Lazarus was broken but it just might be the libraries getting messed up after the initial upgrade(via cd)...I went online this morning and the update manager prompted me for a partial upgrade, which basically means there have been a considerable amount of difference between my packages as opposed to the online repositories (the iso must have been a few weeks older already). I'm still running an online upgrade while I'm writing this blog and from the looks of things (ISP slowdowns and all) It will probably take 2 hours or the rest of the day before the upgrade is done.

For the brave ones you can upgrade your system online (slower but more complete) by typing this on the commandline:

update-manager --devel-release

then click on the upgrade button.

or use the alternate installer cd:

The upgrade script is supposed to run once the cd gets loaded but there is a bug in the script (path issues I presume) that prevents it from launching and would therefore do nothing on the GUI side...so drop down to your terminal and type this instead:

./cdrom/cdromupgrade

On a totally unrelated but equally cool news, a friend of mine sent me a url to Google powered search site that uses commandline interface similar to sh and aptly called it goosh...greate use of ajax btw :)

Good luck and may the force be with you!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

whoa whoa whooooaaaa!!!
I'll definitely update when my exams are finished.
thanks for this info

Anonymous said...

just upgraded to interpid ibex!
and it's really great.

Well, I really went to a lot of glitches though. So many that I keep on browsing in ubuntuforums.
But still everything now is going smoothly. I'm using it just like a stable system. Yay!

^_^

Avat@r said...

@ragingmon: what kind of glitches did you encounter? The wifi issue on my side was fixed on the latest update however I did notice that network manager can't seem to detect my ethernet connection (but its connected) so it fools firefox to go offline (maybe firefox shouldn't be relying on nm and do their own checks). Apparently this only occurs to those who upgraded but a clean install of Ibex seemed to work ok

Avat@r said...

ok so apparently a fix for the problem i describe is already out, i'm downloading updates now and I see that the "offline mode" patch is already included :)