Tuesday, November 11, 2008

linux.pimping

Hello folks, I'm once again encouraging everyone to shift or at least try Ubuntu. The recent release (Ubuntu 8.10), although not perfect, is very good and quite easy to use.

A few years back I had Mandrake installed, along with Windows, in a home PC. I forgot to set the default boot option to back to Windows so it boots with Mandrake every time its turned on. My father, a casual computer user, turned the PC on and was surprised that it didn't looked quite like Windows. He assumed that I simply changed the Windows theme to make it look different. He didn't mind that the boot screen say "Mandrake Linux", he didn't mind that the icons were totally different, he didn't care that the 'Start' button had a star on it. What he care about thought was looking for something that says "Word" because he needed to type a document. He saw KWord, launched it and typed away. When I got back he only asked if I had changed the "theme" because it looked way different. So there I was surprised that my father is a now a Linux user without him knowing it, plus he actually printed the document and shown it to me. I can never forget that incident and that's precisely why I smirk whenever I hear people say Linux is hard to use and why I believe that given the right mix (as in the case of Ubuntu) Linux can definitely be successful as a desktop OS as well (Linux has been enjoying its rule in the server OS space for years).

I've always been eager to promote the use of Linux as a desktop OS ever since Ubuntu's Dapper release (6.10). It was, in my opinion, the first distro release that made it easy (at least for me) to make an ordinary computer user actually sit down and use it. The next releases made my Linux pimping life even better. Just think of the benefits, it's advanced, it's virtually immune to viruses (yup, no need to buy an anti-virus), totally customizable, fat free (meaning none of the usual bloat-ware you get from bundled software packages), it's a good way to start a conversation unless you still prefer to talk about the weather in which case there is even a widget for that :) , and most of all it's free!

Download the latest Ubuntu release and try it for yourself. If you're around Davao City feel free to drop by (PM me first) bring a CD/DVD and I'll burn a copy for you. We can even talk about it while sipping a cup o' joe (and yes the coffee is free too).

1 comment:

feathervane said...

Yes. I still can remember that story. It was during LiSA 2 that you relayed that to us.

Ubuntu 8.10 truly is very much usable.

=)