Thursday, May 10, 2012

the.heat.is.on


Janice, a runner friend of mine, joined me for a two hour heat training. This is a way to acclimate a runner's body to the demands of running an ultra-marathon (which  in my country means you'll be subjected to extremely hot and humid conditions). So as part of my preparation for the upcoming Bohol 50miler I have no choice but to run under the hot summer sun. And while its obvious that I don't enjoy running when its hot, it proved to be a new experience that is weirdly enjoyable for me. It was also a good opportunity to try out the new Salomon XA+ cap and Pearl Izumi arm coolers I ordered online (both of which  proved their worth). We did an hour of running then re-hydrated, then rested a bit and after that I decided to do an additional 38mins or so of running under the scorching summer heat (35.5°C). I'm still hoping the weather conditions during the actual race day would be cool and cloudy but if its not, then at least I'm partially ready to take on the heat!

btw, I just came across this blog and is surprised that Haruki Murakami is a runner (well, he's a marathoner/ultramarathon/triathlete!)



and for some bizzare yet inspiring news >> Paralyzed "bionic" woman completes London Marathon!

No comments: